Profile image for Karenh2009

By Karenh2009 | Friday, September 03, 2010, 09:46

RESIDENTS in Chorley are

being urged to return their electoral registration forms so they keep their

right to vote.


Each household is being

delivered with a register of electors form from Chorley Council so the

authority can update its records.


The form specifies who is

currently registered at the address and who is eligible to vote.


Councillor Peter

Goldsworthy, Leader of Chorley Council, said: “It couldn’t be simpler to update

the records and this year we have made it easier for residents who can register

by text message or over the internet at as well

as by post and telephone.”


Whether it is local, general

or European elections, householders will not be able to vote if they are not on

the register.


There are local and parish

elections scheduled for May 2011 and there could be a government referendum. If

you aren’t on the register you won’t be able to vote.


Not being registered can

also affect credit ratings and your ability to take out loans, mortgages or

other credit such as mobile phone contracts.


“We’ve had just over half of

all households update their details so far and I would urge anyone who has not

registered to do so now,” said Coun Goldsworthy.


“Even if there are no changes

since last year you need to tell us. It will only take a few minutes to do and

means you will have your say when it comes to election time.”


If you haven’t replied yet,

you will receive a reminder form in the next week and return it quickly as the

new updated register will be published on December 1, 2010.


Householders are required by

law to give the information requested on the electoral registration forms.


If you have lost your

registration form contact Chorley Council on 01257 515151.



max 4000 characters

Latest Stories in Chorley


Local Jobs


Search for...

Min price is bigger than Max price
Min price is bigger than Max price
Min rent is bigger than Max rent